Happy Wednesday everyone. We are half way through our week already. Things need to slow down, it seems like everyday is flying by. For those of you having a sucky week I’m sorry. Please enjoy this Author Spotlight and hope it helps brighten your day or week.
Richard H. Stephens
Richard began writing circa 1974, a bored child looking for something to do. As his reading horizons broadened, so did his writing.
A trip to a local bookstore saw the proprietor introduce him to Terry Brooks and Stephen R. Donaldson. His writing life was forever changed.
He worked in a warehouse for 22 years, supporting his family, before re-attending school to complete his education. Graduating with honours, he joined the local Police Service.
In 2017, he resigned from the Police Service to pursue writing full-time. With the support of his family, he has finally realized his boyhood dream.
Six Fun Facts about Richard:
- I started writing when I was 9 years old, a bored child looking for something to do one summer vacation. I looked at a Hardy Boys’ novel sitting beside me and thought, I could write one of those, and so, I did. In 1977, Star Wars hit the big screen, fueling a 600-page novel that saw ms and all my friends saving the galaxy. Shortly afterward, a local bookstore proprietor introduced me to The Sword of Shannara by Terry Brooks. I instantly became a fantasy lover.
- The Soul Forge Saga took 36 years from inception to publication. Right from the very beginning, I always knew how the series would end…right up until, halfway through writing book 3 at the end of 2018, one of the main characters did something completely unplanned. The ending went out the window, but all was not lost. As a new ending surfaced, my next series, The Legends of the Lurker, was born.
- Ironically, the very next day, while waiting to leave the house to attend something, (I have no idea what anymore), I decided to browse through my Facebook feed and by the purest of accidents, I came across a pre-made cover by K.M. Jenkins—a person I’d never herard of before that moment. As soon as I saw the cover, I had to have it. It was the exact image of what I had envisioned just the day before. It was as if fate had intervened. Needless to say, I was late arriving at wherever it was I was supposed to be. I refused to leave the house until I had secured the rights to the cover. Reecah’s Flight was born.
- People always comment on my amazing covers, both custom and pre-made, and that is entirely to the credit of the those who make them. K. M. Jenkins and Marco Pennacchietti, your covers inspire me. This leads me to a peculiar thing that happened when the cover for Soul Forge was created. The cover depicts an archer and an old man with a white beard at the base of a waterfall. Soul Forge’s first draft came in at 178,000 words, and in all those words, never once did I portray the old man as a wizard, and yet, my artist decided to give him a staff. At first, I was like, “Um, Marco, we need to lose the staff,” but his vision grew on me. A vision that ultimately led to a drastic transformation of the series.
- Over the years, I’ve had two careers and five children. My love for writing always took a back seat, as my children and the jobs were my first priority. I recently retired from a very stressful position in law enforcement, and with the support of my wife, have finally been able to realize my boyhood dream of being an author.
- I dearly love all of my fans and hope to someday meet each and every one of them—if not in person, then perhaps in the skies on the back of a dragon.
Connect with the Author
An epic tale of loyalty and betrayal, fantastical creatures, breathtaking vistas and one man’s need to rescue his darkened soul. Accompanied by a band of eclectic characters, Silurian Mintaka embarks upon a journey fraught with demons, both physical and psychological, seeking revenge on the one responsible for murdering his family. Those closest to him fear his decisions will end up killing them all as the fate of the kingdom hangs in the balance.
An epic fantasy, dragon series.
A young girl dreams of flying. Encouraged by her grandfather to follow her heart, Reecah grows up to form a forbidden relationship with a baby dragon.
Secretly opposing the mandate of her people, Reecah tests the boundaries of unconditional love as she and her enchanting accomplice battle the discriminating laws governing the land.
Together they confront the king’s men in a desperate attempt to save the dragons from extinction.
The epic sequel to Reecah’s Flight
Braving the perils of a cutthroat city, Reecah discovers that as bad as life may have seemed, nothing prepared her for what the future has in store.
Surviving hardships no one should ever have to endure, she finds herself face-to-face with those seeking her demise.
Without the intervention of an eclectic warrior, and the assistance of her dragon friends, Reecah might never realize the gift so many have died to protect.